Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Buzz Saws and Brace Brackets...an Interactive Journey

If you're like me, the first thing you think of when you hear "power chain" is probably this. However, when it comes to braces, "power chain" means this. Now in month 13 of bracefacefullness, I am experiencing the teeth equivalent of cramming way too many people onto an elevator. This is all due to my new not-so-BFF power chain on my upper set of chompers. Yes, it is time to close the gaps and bring my pitter patterers close together. The party's over. No more sultry goddess like powers bestowed upon me by gap teeth ala the Wife of Bath. No more amazement at how easy it is to brush between my teeth with little brushes shaped like Christmas trees. Instead, I have some band-like object with loops stretched from one side of my mouth to the other. Each loop is intricately wrapped around each brace bracket. This is supposedly going to pull my teeth back together in perfect alignment.

The good thing is that the chain is clear. The first picture that popped into my head was that my mouth would be one, big metallic shield. Kind of like this guy. Instead, I was seemingly lucky enough to get the clear power chain. After reading the description in the second link above, I'm convinced that this clarity will be short-lived. Two liquids that "DO" stain power chains are coffee and red wine, which are, ironically, two liquids on which I have come to depend occasionally. Well, maybe frequently. Like, all the time. As in, crap, I'm out! Just kidding. I do like to get my share of tannin-laden antioxidants, but am not exactly a lush. And I don't carry around a cup that says something cliche like "Back off until I've had my tenth pot of coffee!" (With a double exclamation point for emphasis, no doubt.)

The fourth item on the list that apparently is the worst offender of staining power chains is curry, which is easy enough for me to avoid. It's not like I need a jolt of stinky spices to get me going in the morning. Nor do I come home to a nice glass of curry powder to help me unwind. I don't have to worry about how to politely decline when invited to a cheese and curry mixer. And yet, the power chain site simply states "curry." Red curry? Yellow curry? Green curry? Malaysian? Thai? Chinese? Curry is quite the complex spice, as depicted in the wikicurry site. What's a curry loving braceface to do? Well, my friends, DKDC. Perhaps they should request "silver" or "smoke" colored power chains so they can look like a James Bond villain. At least they won't have a yellow power chain.

No comments:

Post a Comment